Our mission is to help Balancer protocol become the primary source of liquidity in DeFi.
Balancer is a DeFi protocol, so decentralization of all its aspects, including data provisioning, is a priority. Data that would traditionally be stored in a centralized database has to be made available on decentralized infrastructure like The Graph and IPFS for anyone to access. While decentralization is our north star, we understand there will be times where more traditional data pipeline architectures are a better fit (eg. for performance reasons, proof of concepts, non-critical use cases etc.).
About the RoleThe Director of Engineering oversees staffing of the engineering team including staff augmentation, contractor population management, allocating team members to projects, and hiring and onboarding of contractors and vendors. The Director of Engineering is an employee of Balancer Services and oversees all aspects of Balancer Services technology.
This role and Balancer are fully remote. We see the value in in-person connection and collaboration and will plan team events throughout the year.
About YouSome of the specific characteristics we look for include:
- A people-first approach to leadership.
- A strong technical background.
- Experience managing teams of engineers and managers or leading teams of independent contractors.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to build consensus.
- Exceptional leadership and project management skills and a passion for developing the skills and talents of others.
ResponsibilitiesThis is a dynamic role, and your day-to-day will vary. Nevertheless, here are some themes that will persist:
- Manage a team of 10+ engineers located in multiple time zones.
- Ensure Balancer Services is acting in the best interests of Balancer Labs.
- Manage staffing and capacity planning of independent contractor population.
- Oversee contractor engagement, staffing, and performance decisions
- Approve cost expenditures for contractor and vendor populations
- Utilize your network to build a recruitment pool of contractors and employees.
- Promote the continuous improvement of engineering processes.
- Measure and improve department metrics/goals
- Create a highly communicative and streamlined process between the contractor population and the teams they support.
Skills & Qualifications
- Previous experience building and leading software engineering teams coupled with 8+ years of software engineering experience.
- Understanding of the talent landscape as an expert at capacity planning, staffing plans, and staff augmentation.
- Experience identifying and managing global independent contractor populations.
- Capable and willing to roll up your sleeves to tackle complex technical problems.
- Have a deep understanding of web technologies and modern web frameworks.
- Comfortable collaborating with groups outside of engineering and translating high-level business objectives into technical strategy.
- Experience mentoring and supporting engineering teams, encouraging engineering best practices
- Have a good understanding of system design, third-party integrations, and a breadth of engineering experience that can be applied to design pragmatic solutions.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Balancer Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.