Rook Labs is looking for a Head of Research to join the team.
About Rook Labs
At Rook Labs, we believe the value in a transaction belongs to those who generate it.
We're creating a world where users and protocols own the surplus value their orders create and where financial services are powered entirely by it, rather than fees. A decentralized public good, governed by a DAO, that returns nearly all the profit back to its users.
Rook Labs is led by co-founder & CTO Joey Zacherl -- founder of the first market making bot on Ethereum, Volleyfire -- and comprised of top minds from DeFi, technology, research, and finance with backgrounds from Google, NASA, UBS, Citadel, Gemini, Apple, Shopify, Oxford, Harvard, Princeton, and Imperial College London.
We have deep experience in blockchain automation, MEV, and financial systems, and want to join with others like us, or teach the best candidates about this exciting area of modern finance.
About the Role
We’re looking for an exceptional contributor with an exemplary reputation for high-quality and practical research content to become our Head of Research. This is a new position for a new team, meaning that you’ll get the chance to build out a research team from the ground up. If you have ambitions to lead a research team on the cutting edge of decentralized finance, this is your dream role.
Our ideal candidate loves DeFi, MEV and financial markets. You will lead a small team that will be mostly focused in directed research on market design in decentralized systems, both open-ended and geared towards improving Rook Labs’ products. In this role, you will be working closely with all engineering teams.
This is a challenging and high-impact role with highly competitive compensation. This is a full-time role.
What you’ll achieve
- Lead a research team that performs independent research on decentralized market design
- Produce impactful research to help develop the Rook protocol and its product suite.
- Effectively communicate research outcomes internally and externally
- Coordinate with outsourced research teams to further the organization’s goals and interests
What you’ll bring
- We exclusively hire contributors who firmly meet our criteria of eligibility LINK
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in Web3 is a must
- Proven ability to deliver high-quality and practical research content to work on market design in decentralized systems
- Algorithmic trading experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in traditional finance setting preferred
- Experience coordinating other researchers
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation: We will offer you highly competitive compensation, beating the largest technology companies and financial institutions on the planet.
- Unlimited upside: You will receive a grant of ROOK based on today’s price, good for the next 3 years. This gives you unlimited upside while your work benefits Rook Labs.
- No complicated vesting: ****The grant vests linearly and has only a 3-month “ramp up” period. The period may be waived for highly-qualified candidates.
- Financial security: Because of our healthy, liquid treasury we won’t run out of money to pay you for the duration of your 3-year grant.
- Equal pay for equal work: We don’t adapt compensation according to where you live. All incentives are set to reference amounts for the San Francisco Bay area, which are typically the highest in the world.
- Work smarter, not harder: We let you work flexible hours - so you can design your ideal workday schedule - and take the time you need when you feel you need to take a break.
- Compensate for lack of benefits: Rook Labs will account for the cost of missing benefits such as health insurance, 401(k) matching, vacation time, and the need to cover work-related expenses.
- Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like.
- Make a dent: We’re reimagining finance, and your work can make a meaningful impact in helping us shape a better, more open, inclusive and fairer financial system.