Aptos is looking to hire an Associate General Counsel, Commercial to join the team.
Aptos is a people-first blockchain on a mission to help billions of people achieve universal and fair access to decentralized assets in a safe and scalable way.
Founded by some of the original creators and maintainers that researched, designed, and built the Diem blockchain to serve this purpose, we have dedicated several years toward this mission. We believe the open-source Diem technology we have developed is an important foundation of a safe and scalable web3 world where everyone has more equitable opportunities to grow and access financial assets with lower fees and fewer intermediaries.
Aptos (Ohlone for "The People") encompasses our mission and ethos for why we build.
About The Role
Aptos Labs is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as Associate General Counsel or Senior Counsel (depending on experience) on the legal team related to its blockchain initiative. You will be responsible for leading commercial legal matters at Aptos Labs and drafting and negotiating a wide variety of transactions and contracts to support the Aptos Labs business development, partnerships, and other business teams and will also advise on legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to transactions and the business as a whole. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work at the forefront of helping to build one of the leading layer 1, proof-of-stake blockchains and have a major global impact around the world.
What you'll be doing:
- Draft and negotiate a variety of complex agreements on behalf of the business development, partnerships and other business teams at Aptos Labs
- Provide practical legal and strategic business advice to the business and partnerships team and help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to the commercial aspects of our products and programs
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams at Aptos Labs and at Aptos Foundation and legal subject matter experts to ensure transactions satisfy business and legal requirements
- Ability to lead and manage numerous deals and meet tight deadlines when necessary to achieve business objectives
- Lead initiatives to improve applicable forms, processes and procedures
- Assist with corporate legal matters, including grants, investments in ecosystem projects and token purchases that accompany partnership discussions.
- Open to travel as and when required
- Legal team at Aptos Labs is very cross-functional so this role will be expected to contribute in other legal areas such as product and regulatory matters when needed.
What we’re looking for:
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and member of the California or New York bar
- 7+ years of legal experience (either in-house and/or at a law firm), with a background in technology transactions. Senior Counsel or Associate General Counsel title shall be determined based on experience level.
- Experience drafting complex agreements with technology companies and/or financial institutions and leading contract negotiations
- Experience advising clients and managing deals on deadlines with minimal supervision
- Experience building relationships and collaborating cross-functionally with external partners, business teams and other members of the legal team to ensure business needs are met
- Excellent legal judgment and outstanding communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Background in fintech and/or blockchain and experience with the legal issues arising from fintech and/or blockchain applications
- 100% insurance premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision for you and your dependents
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible vacation time, 11 holidays, and floating company days off
- Competitive Salary
- Equity (RSUs)
- Protocol Token Grants
- 401k matching
- Fun and inclusive in-person and digital events