Gitcoin is looking to hire a Fraud Detection Data Analyst. This is a full-time position that is 100% remote.
Gitcoin’s purpose is to help communities to fund their shared needs. Over $68 million in public goods funding has moved through Gitcoin’s Grants program since its inception in 2019. Our focus now is moving from a monolithic and centralized system to a modular and decentralized model. Our Grants Protocol will be used by many communities and organizations when it fully launches in early 2023. Our Grants Program will set standards in best practices for selection of funding mechanisms, sybil defense mechanisms, and grant discoverability and eligibility settings.
The Fraud Detection & Defense (FDD) workstream focuses on stopping fraud in the Gitcoin Grants system, notably Sybil Attacks.
As a Fraud Detection Data Analyst you will help detect anomalous behavior indicative of sybil attacks & collusion. These behavioral observations are turned into analysis confirming the intent of the behavior. Communicating this information using data visualization and narrative formats is a key component of this role.
There are two primary modes of work you will encounter during our 3 month “seasons”.
During the grant rounds:
- Exploratory analysis to find signals of sybil behavior
- Evaluating flagged users to find behavioral observations
- Develop data driven justification for/against flagged grants and users eligibility
- Drafting a Post Round Fraud Analysis report
Between the grant rounds:
- Iteratively improve an in-round analysis run book
- Quality check key data sets (ground truth)
- Collaborate with data science & ML engineers on feature engineering
- Collaborate with data operations to optimize analyst efficiency
- Collaborate with data relations to build a participatory data community
- Participate in objective & key result brainstorming
FDD Participation (How we work)
- Primarily Asynchronous with optional Work in Public times: 1 hour weekly Gitcoin update meeting 1 hour weekly FDD update meeting 1 hour weekly project management alignment meeting
- 80/20 rule - Work on objectives / Innovation & new ideas
- Two years’ experience as a data analyst, and a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent training.
- Experience performing exploratory data analysis, creating reports and sharing insights in the form of data visualizations for internal stakeholders.
- Experience with working with diverse datasets using SQL and either Python or R.
- Experience with data visualization and dashboard tools (e.g. tools like Metabase, Plotly, Looker, Tableau).
- You communicate in a clear and concise way that creates shared context
- You face blockers as challenges and ask us for support
- You bring your self-driven motivation to work
- You balance your need for autonomy with our need of alignment
- Experience working in web3, analyzing on-chain data, or contributing to open source projects
- Deep commitment to digital public goods
Our core contributors:
- Understand the ambitions and goals of GitcoinDAO, Ethereum and web3 in general and how they function on a high level.
- Agree that a passionate, inclusive, collaborative team of missionaries always outperforms a loose group of individual mercenaries.
- Are passionate about people and the transformative potential of open source software, blockchain, and disruptive technologies common in web3.
- Get things done and when they can't get them done, communicate why and what they need to get unblocked.
- Are persistent in the face of roadblocks. They take the initiative to fix issues.
- Are comfortable jumping into an unfamiliar space and navigating uncertainty (and a little chaos).
- Are committed to goals, sometimes determined by themselves and often determined collaboratively, and flexible on tactics.
If you don’t tick every box above, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.