0x is looking to hire a General Counsel to join the team. This is a full-time position that is remote or in San Francisco.
At 0x Labs, our mission is to create a tokenized world where all value can flow freely. We're a highly technical, globally distributed group of teams working together toward actualizing that mission. In doing so, we're excited and proud to be pushing the envelope across the DeFi and Ethereum stacks.
In joining us, you'll take part in transforming the way that value is exchanged on a global scale. We're passionate about open-source software and decentralized technology's potential to act as an equalizing force in the world, and our technology is deployed by a wide array of projects at the forefront of internet and economic advancement.
Founded in 2017, 0x Labs created and now partakes in the development of 0x protocol: a network comprised of open-source infrastructure, tooling, and cryptocurrency-based incentives that allow for the decentralized exchange of any blockchain-based digital asset. 0x is a secure, publicly owned and governed, and upgradable standard that’s abstracted away from application-layer developers and enables interoperability between blockchain-based applications.
We’re a remote-first company with core contributors in nearly ten countries and over twice as many cities. Our headquarters is in San Francisco, with an office available for anyone on the team to use at any time.
We’ll consider your application regardless of where you call home.
YOUR ROLE AS GENERAL COUNSEL AT 0X
0x Labs is a fast-growing and reputable startup in the nascent crypto industry. As our General Counsel, you will lead the full suite of legal and regulatory functions for the company. As one of the key executive members, you will work closely with the leadership team on high impact projects and strategic decisions. You and the legal team will collaborate with other team members across functions - including operations, strategic partnerships, product, marketing, engineering.
The crypto space never lacks uncertainties, challenges and changes. As our General Counsel, it will be your responsibility to ensure that we do the right thing and focus on long-term impact. You will develop legal guidance and strategy that mitigate the company’s legal and regulatory risks, and help the company thrive in a challenging environment. The General Counsel will be a crucial partner to our product and business team and facilitate business opportunities for the company. In addition to leading the team internally, as General Counsel you will be an external leader and advocate for progressive legislative and regulatory developments on behalf of the company and the industry.
You’ll work closely alongside:
- Will Warren, Co-Founder & Co-CEO - Before founding 0x Labs, Will was studying in an engineering PhD program
- Amir Bandeali, Co-Founder & Co-CEO - Before founding 0x Labs, Amir was a trader with DRW Trading
- Director of Operations (open position), who will be responsible for managing day-to-day operations at 0x Labs
- Rui Zhang, Senior Legal Counsel - Before joining 0x Labs, Rui founded her own blockchain startup in the energy space and was a Senior Legal Counsel at CITIC, a global multinational financial conglomerate
- Various other teams and stakeholders across 0x Labs
- Set the overall legal strategy and manage all legal matters for the company
- Advise and support the executive team on strategic & complex regulatory and business issues in the US and internationally
- Represent company directly and/or manage outside counsel in regulatory enforcement or litigation matters if needed
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on issues related to product development, marketing and business partnership
- Create, develop and implement company-wide policies, procedures and standard agreements
- Monitor emerging legislation and regulation, and advise the company of regulatory developments
- Educate policy makers on crypto industry development and advocate for crypto friendly policy changes
- Build and lead a world-class legal team in the nascent crypto industry
- Select, engage and manage outside counsel
- J.D. or equivalent law degree from a top ABA-accredited law school and good standing with at least one US state bar
- 10+ years of professional legal experience with a focus in financial services, securities litigation, regulatory enforcement practice, regulatory compliance
- Strategic thinker who can quickly identify key issues and navigate the complex regulatory landscape in the crypto space
- Good judgement and assertive voice in ambiguous and challenging circumstances
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to succeed in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to take initiative and build productive relationships internally and externally
- Interest in decentralized finance (DeFi), cryptocurrency and blockchain technology with an eagerness to learn more about the industry
- Exhibit our core values: do the right thing, consistently ship, and focus on long-term impact
- Experience working at the SEC, FinCEN or CFTC is highly valued
- Practice experience in the crypto industry is strongly preferred
- In-house experience is not required but is preferred
- Competitive salary and equity with occasional cryptocurrency-based perks
- Comprehensive insurance (medical/dental/vision/life/disability) — 100% covered for you and dependents
- 401k, HSA, and FSA
- Monthly mobile phone bill, wellness, and pre-tax transportation expense
- Covered mental health benefits (included professional therapy sessions)
- Flexible hours, liberal work-from-home policy, and a supportive remote environment
- Lunch delivered at home daily for SF residents
- Laptop, headphones, and any other work gear you may need
- 12-week paid parental leave
- Great office conveniently located in Soma/East Cut, SF
- Unlimited vacation: Take time when you need it (and we really mean it)